US Visa Types for Indians – Everything You Need to Know

US Visa Types for Indians

Visa is a licence you need to visit a foreign country. This confirms the purpose of your trip to the United States. 

Everyone wants to give their American dream a chance. People see the US as a form of utopia, a place of ideal perfection in laws, government, and social conditions. 

Many people from developed countries want to immigrate to the US for high-class education, better job opportunities, different cultural exposure, and the chance to better their lives. 

India appeared as the Fifth largest country whose citizens are the highest number of international visitors to the US. 

US visa types have two main categories – non-immigrant and immigrant. 

A Non-immigrant visa defines that you are going to the US temporarily. On the other hand, an immigrant visa fulfils someone’s wish to live permanently in the US.

Read More: Visa On Arrival Countries for Indians

Popular US Visa Types for Indians

1. Tourist or Business Visa

Under tourism or business, you will get a combined visa. This visa is issued to those who prove to the consular officer that their stay in the US is not permanent and they have enough funds to cover travel expenses. 

The embassy also requests proof of residence outside the US. You cannot accept employment under this visa.

  • A B-1 US visa is issued to the applicant wishing to travel to the US for business, educational, business meetings, settling an estate, or negotiating contracts.
  • A B-2 visa is a holiday trip, visiting friends and family, and medical tourism. 

2. Work Visa 

The US offers a work visa to you according to the work you will perform in the same country. US work types offered for Indians are as follows: 

  • H1-B visa is provided to those who have a Bachelor’s degree. The USCIS decides if someone is qualified in a specialised occupation to provide the requested service.
  • H-3 for traineeships is the service provided to someone whose purpose of visiting the US has a connection to receive training in any field from an employer for more than two years. One will get the payment for the training program, but he cannot use this visa for permanent employment. 
  • H-4 US visa is for the holders of a valid H Visa. The H visa holders’ marriage partners and unmarried children can receive an H-4 visa but cannot work in the US. 
  • L-1 US visa is for Intra company transferees. You are qualified for this visa if you are an employee, manager, or executive of an international company and are being transferred temporarily to the main branch or a subsidiary of the company. 
  • L-2 is for the legal holders of a valid L visa. The holder of this visa can call his spouse and unmarried children below 21 to receive an L-2 visa to enter the US. Submit Form I-765 with your spouse’s visa if she wants employment in the US. But your child with an L-2 visa cannot wish to work in the US.
  • O visa is offered to someone with extraordinary ability in the fields like science, education, arts, business, athletics, motion picture, and television production.
  •  P visa is available for athletes, entertainer artists, and essential support personnel wishing to enter the US to perform. 
  • Type Q visa is issued in the name of someone whose visit to the US is related to participating in an international cultural exchange program, providing training, employment, and sharing the history, culture, and traditions of his native country. 

The USCIS considers the petition for H, L, O, P, and Q. Form I-129 is vital to be approved by the USCIS to place a request for a work visa at the Consulate. Your employer will receive a Form I-797 that confirms the approval of your petition. Attach a copy of Form I-129 and Form I-797 to the Consulate at the time of your interview. 

Read More: H1B Visa Interview Questions & Answers

3. Student Visa 

You have 120 days from the I-20’s commencement date to place a request for student visas offered as follows: 

  • F-1 Visa for students who want to enrol in academic programs in US-approved universities.This visa is also for someone who wants to enrol in programs for learning English. Students who have applied to public secondary school are also eligible for the F-1 US visa type for Indians. 
  • M-1 Visa is for those students who wish to travel to the US for non-academic, vocational training or training. You can enrol in any public secondary and elementary school program with the help of A, E, H-4, F-2, G, J-2, L-2, and M-2 or any other Non-immigrant visa holder. If you stayed for five months or more in the US, you might lose your F-1 or M-1 status if your overseas activity did not relate to your course.

4. Exchange Visitor Visa 

An exchange visitor visa is issued to applicants travelling to the US to participate in an exchange program. Prior to applying for an exchange visitor visa, you need approval from the side of the authorised program sponsor. An exchange visitor will get a J visa. 

The motive of exchanging visitor visas is to promote the interchange of knowledge and skills in the following fields;

  • Teachers
  • Academic levels
  • Professors
  • Research Scholars
  • Professional trainees
  • Travel and Tourism 
  • Consultation
  • Research programs 

5. Ship Crew or Transit Visa

  • Transit C Visa is valid for citizens of foreign countries who will travel to another country through the US. If you wish to visit your friends or family while staying in the US, see layover privileges and obtain a B-2 Visa.
  • Crew D Visa is available to crew members working on a sea vessel or aircraft. Most crew members apply for C-1 or D, a combination of ship crew or transit visa. A crew member can also apply for a B-1 visa if his job is on board a vessel within the outer continental shelf.  

6. Religious Worker Visa 

A religious worker R-1 Visa is available for someone who wants to travel to the US to carry out religious activities.

7. Personal and Domestic Employee Visa

Domestic employee visas are offered to personal or domestic servants who accompany their employer to the US. These personal or domestic servants can apply for a B-1 Visa. 

The US consulate 1n an A-3 or a G-5 visa to the domestic servants of a foreign diplomat or a government official. Here is the list of domestic servants eligible for a domestic employee visa.

  • Butlers
  • Cooks
  • Chauffeurs
  • Footmen
  • Gardeners
  • Housemaids
  • Mother’s helpers
  • Nannies
  • Paid companions
  • Valets

8. Media and Journalist Visa 

(I) or I Media and Journalist visa is offered to nonimmigrants who have a home office in the US and want to stay in the same country for a short period. This visa is available if your purpose of visit to the US is as follows.

  • Attending a conference 
  • Meeting
  • Guest lecture
  • Cover academic activities
  • Purchasing media equipment
  • Vacation

If your spouse and child under 21 have a B-2 Visa, they can accompany you for your US trip. 

Read More: Visa Consultant Service to Obtain Visa


US visa types mentioned in the blog are available for overseas citizens, including Indians. But, H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers, H-2B for skilled and unskilled workers, and H-1 B-1 work visa types are not available for Indians. 

Remember, you need attestation of documents to place a request for any of the above-described US visa types for Indians. For authentic attestation services, you can consult Superb Enterprise, the outsourcing agency of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).